Generally we will collect personal information directly from you. We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, our functions or activities. We are responsible for the administration of the Bankruptcy Act 1966 and related legislation, as well as the Personal Property Securities Act 2009. We also control and realise property under other Commonwealth legislation, including proceeds of crime and child support legislation.
Sometimes we will collect personal information from another source, but only if:
- you consent to the collection from another source
- it is unreasonable or impractical to collect the personal information from you
- we are authorised by an Australian law to collect the information from that source.
Use and disclosure
If we collect personal information for one purpose, we will only disclose or use it for another purpose if permitted by the privacy legislation, including where:
- you have consented
- the other purpose is related to the purpose for which we collected the information and you would reasonably expect that we would use or disclose it for the other purpose
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- it will lessen or prevent serious threat to the life, health or safety of an individual.
We take steps to protect personal information we hold from misuse, interference, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. When no longer required, personal information is deleted or destroyed in a secure manner, in accordance with our obligations under the Archives Act 1983.
For further information, please contact us by:
- Attention: Privacy Officer
AFSA Service Centre
GPO Box 1550
Adelaide SA 5001