What we do
On this page
We manage the application of bankruptcy and personal property securities laws through the delivery of high-quality personal insolvency and trustee, regulation and enforcement, and personal property securities services.
Regulatory Operations Group
- Provide practical information about options to deal with unmanageable debt.
- Assess and register bankruptcy, debt agreement and personal insolvency applications from debtors and court-ordered insolvency administrations.
- Issue bankruptcy notices on the application of creditors.
- Exercise statutory powers of the Official Receiver to obtain information and recover monies on the application of trustees administering insolvent estates.
- Act as trustee for personal insolvency administrations.
- Act as trustee pursuant to court orders, particularly under the Proceeds of Crime legislation.
- Act as special trustee for government.
- Preserve the security and integrity of a large volume of personal insolvency records.
Enforcement and Practitioner Surveillance
- Regulate personal insolvency practitioners.
- Investigate alleged Bankruptcy Act and Personal Property Securities Act (PPS Act) offences and where appropriate refer for prosecution.
Personal property securities
- Make administrative decisions to resolve disputes between secured parties and grantors.
- Exercise discretion in response to applications made under the PPS Act.
- Provide sector specific information to assist users to effectively use the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR).
- Preserve the security and integrity of a large volume of economically significant registration data.