I want to apply to travel overseas

If you're travelling, or moving overseas you must seek approval from your trustee. Contact your trustee to apply for permission. Your trustee may charge a fee to process your application.

On this page

2 min read

Information you need to provide to your trustee:

You may need to provide the following details:

  • Reasons for travel and the countries you want to visit.
  • Dates you intend to leave and return to Australia.
  • Contact details including email address, phone number and overseas address where your trustee can contact you.
  • Income per year.
  • Compulsory payment plans while you are overseas (if applicable).
  • Who is paying for the cost of the trip, including a letter from that person if it's not you.
  • Employer evidence if you're travelling for work.

Your trustee must have adequate information and time to consider your request.

For more information see: Can I travel overseas during bankruptcy?

Next step:

If your trustee is the Official Trustee (AFSA) you can apply online.

A non-refundable application fee of $150 applies.

Please submit your application at least 2 weeks before you plan to leave Australia.

When we receive your application:

  • We will assess it and notify you of the outcome (even if we don't approve it).
  • If we approve it, we will send you a letter giving permission for your approved dates and destinations.
  • You must take the approval letter with you as you may need to present this when you leave Australia.
  • When you return to Australia, inform your trustee.

Do I need to apply once my bankruptcy has ended?

You no longer need your trustees’ permission to travel overseas when your bankruptcy ends.