If you're travelling, or moving overseas you must seek approval from your trustee. Contact your trustee to apply for permission. Your trustee may charge a fee to process your application.
Information you need to provide to your trustee:
You may need to provide the following details:
- Reasons for travel and the countries you want to visit.
- Dates you intend to leave and return to Australia.
- Contact details including email address, phone number and overseas address where your trustee can contact you.
- Income per year.
- Compulsory payment[?] plans while you are overseas (if applicable).
- Who is paying for the cost of the trip, including a letter from that person if it's not you.
- Employer evidence if you're travelling for work.
Your trustee must have adequate information and time to consider your request.
For more information see: Can I travel overseas during bankruptcy?
If your trustee is the Official Trustee[?] (AFSA) you can apply online.
A non-refundable application fee of $150 applies.
Please submit your application at least 2 weeks before you plan to leave Australia.
When we receive your application:
- We will assess it and notify you of the outcome (even if we don't approve it).
- If we approve it, we will send you a letter giving permission for your approved dates and destinations.
- You must take the approval letter with you as you may need to present this when you leave Australia.
- When you return to Australia, inform your trustee.