Seek legal assistance
On this page
2 min read
Find a community legal service, consumer credit legal service or information about Justice Connect's Self Representation Service.
Community legal services and legal aid
Community legal centres and legal aid agencies offer free legal advice, with services available in each state and territory.
Consumer credit legal services
Consumer credit legal services offer free advice and resources for consumers in financial stress - they focus on the area of consumer credit – for example issues with credit cards, debts or repayments.
Get legal advice to represent yourself in court
If you need to attend the Federal Court or the Federal Circuit Court for a bankruptcy matter and cannot afford legal representation, there is help available from National Self Representation Service.
The National Self-Representation Service is a federally funded program provided by these four organisations:
- New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and ACT - Justice Connect
- Queensland - LawRight
- South Australia and the Northern Territory - JusticeNet
- Western Australia - Legal Aid Western Australia
The Service can provide you with an appointment with a lawyer, during which you can receive:
- assistance to ensure you have the documents and information required to appear in court
- legal advice
- help to correctly prepare documents and complete court forms
- advice on dispute resolution options and
- an explanation of court processes.
Please note: the Self Representation Service provides discrete assistance with particular tasks; it does not provide representation.